Using the UKRI Funding Service (TFS)

This page is for the users of AMOF who are in the process of submitting a response to a UKRI funding announcement of opportunity (AO).

You have applied AMOF and we have worked with you and provided a breakdown of costs and a letter of support  – now you need to get that information into your AO response.

In the past, this would have been done via the JeS form but UKRI is moving over to The Funding Service (TFS) that centralises submissions across UKRI. This

This is a big change and below is the guidance we have been given by UKRI to help support you.

The proposed use of a facility should be entered in the application by copying and pasting the name of the UKRI facility into a free text box (from the list of facilities provided in the application), including the proposed usage/cost.

All facilities and infrastructure costs should also be included in the “Resources and cost justification” section of the application (info on how to do that in the bullet points below)

Facility costs will be funded by UKRI at 80% FEC. UKRI will pay the grant to the RO of the PI and then the RO will be responsible for adding the additional 20% and paying the facilities (it is for the awarded RO and the facility to agree on a payment procedure in terms of POs, invoices, etc).

It looks like on TFS the PI needs to enter the full economic cost (100%) and then the “Applied for” section is automatically filled in with the 80% value (please refer to the video on how to add resources and costs at the end of this email).

PIs will need to check they are eligible to access the facility.

PIs should have discussed their research proposal with the facility or service they want to use

PIs should make sure that they are aware of the access procedures, resource availability and timelines at an early stage in developing their proposal. PIs may need to apply directly to the facility or service as well as include it in their funding application.

PIs will need to confirm that they can use the facility or service, which may include a technical assessment form or quote if the application is successful.

Extension to grants will not be given due to the unavailability of facilities intrinsic to the project, for example, ship or airtime. PIs should make sure that the facility will be able to provide access or services during the period of the grant. Under UKRI terms and conditions the grant needs to start within six months from the date of the award letter.

The UKRI cross research council responsive mode full stage – round 1 – UKRI was a pilot that was under pressure to launch very quickly, therefore they didn’t have time to work out all of the issues around the fact that research councils may fund their facilities in different ways, so they decided that it was best to say access to all facility use will be paid by the grant at 80% FEC (with the other 20% paid by the awarded RO).

For the longer term, there are some aspects that (from a NERC perspective) we may need to discuss internally and adjust (e.g., will projects within NERC remit be top-sliced for facility use as it happens for NERC-led calls?).

Resources for applicants

How to find an opportunity in the Funding Finder

How to apply for an opportunity

Resources and Cost information for grant applications

Completing an application in the Funding Service


Videos for research offices

Submission Process and Managing Applications

Resources and Costs

Administrators and the Funding Service

How Research Office notification groups will be managed


Videos for Reviewers

Receiving an invitation to review the UKRI Funding Service

How to conduct a peer review in the UKRI Funding Service

UKRI’s new Funding Service: guidance for Reviewers

Expert review – External reviewer step by step